Home Maintenance Checklist – Spring Cleaning Tips
Below is a home maintenance checklist offering Spring cleaning tips, and advice to get your home’s systems in good working order for the upcoming warmer months.
- Have your air conditioning system professionally serviced.
- Change/clean HVAC air filters.
- Clear debris from around the outside of air conditioner, removing the cover, if applicable.
- Inspect windows and doors to make sure they function properly. Replace if necessary.
- Check putty around windowpanes and weather stripping around windows and doors. Fix as needed.
- Check window and door screens. Replace or repair as needed.
- Check locks, latches, and hinges on your doors and windows. Replace or repair as needed.
- Trim back trees and shrubs as needed to eliminate overhanging branches and to improve curb appeal.
- “Open” your pool for the swimming season. Make sure your pump and filtration systems work effectively, and that your chemicals are balanced.
- Pressure wash your home’s exterior, and apply touch-up paint as required to address paint failure.
- Remove leaves, small branches, and debris from gutters, downspouts, and down-spout extensions so that water properly drains away from your home.
- Look for sagging or otherwise damaged gutter components. Repair if necessary.
- Inspect your basement or crawlspace for dampness.
- Turn on water to outdoor faucets, turn on irrigation system, and check sprinkler heads. Make needed repairs.
- Clean the screens on roof vents and louvers.
- Examine caulking around sinks, tubs, and showers. Reapply if necessary.
- Remove early signs of bird nests and stinging insect nests from eaves, ledges, etc.
- Check foundation walls and wooden areas at or near ground level for signs of termites and other wood-boring insects.
Get additional home maintenance checklists and home improvement tips now from HomeServiceReports.org.