Home Maintenance Checklist – Winterize Your Home
Our Fall maintenance checklist offers tips and advice to winterize your home’s systems and make sure they are in good working order during the upcoming Winter months.
- Have your heating system professionally inspected.
- Change/clean HVAC air filters. Use a vacuum with a brush attachment to clean out forced air registers and ductwork in your house.
- Check the weather stripping around your exterior doors and windows. Repair gaps or other damaged areas.
- Inspect the caulking around the exterior doors and windows. Reapply if necessary to minimize drafts and keep insects out.
- Properly “close” your pool. Make sure water is drained from pipes, and cover your pool to keep it clean and safe during the off-season.
- Clean your chimney and fireplace to minimize chances for fire-related problems during Winter.
- Inspect your roof for damaged shingles, flashing, skylights, dormers, etc. Repair as needed.
- Inspect attic and basement for signs of birds, squirrels, bats, and unwanted guests. Seal entrance holes.
- Drain water from outdoor faucets, garden hoses, and underground sprinkler systems to minimize freeze damage.
- Insulate pipes outside the home and in unheated basements and garages.